Friday, April 27. 2007
Cool Firefox plugin Posted by Jeremy Coates in General at 16:08
Anyway give it a go and let me know what you think about it.
Wednesday, March 21. 2007
Netgear Wireless Access Point woes ... Posted by Jeremy Coates in General at 22:47
Rant over (for now!)
Thursday, March 15. 2007
Suspend / resume finally working ... Posted by Jeremy Coates in Fedora, Linux at 22:54
This is quite cool, however I'm just in the middle of downloading another kernel update and I hope that keeps the progress made with suspend and resume on this laptop.
Monday, October 9. 2006
New Staff Posted by Jeremy Coates in General, XTemplate at 16:11
Thursday, June 29. 2006
VMware need to re-run ... Posted by Jeremy Coates in Linux at 11:47
Add the following just under the start) line in /etc/init.d/vmware
# Start insert
if [ ! -e "/dev/vmmon" ]; then
mknod /dev/vmmon c 10 165
chmod 600 /dev/vmmon
for a in `seq 0 9`; do
if [ ! -e "/dev/vmnet$a" ]; then
mknod /dev/vmnet$a c 119 $a
chmod 600 /dev/vmnet$a
# End insert
if [ -e "$vmware_etc_dir"/not_configured ]; then
Which recreates the nodes that are required - just need VMware to pick that up for future versions. Remember, you'll still need to re-run vmware-config.pl after a kernel upgrade.
Tuesday, June 6. 2006
Yum upgrade FC4 to FC5 dbus session ... Posted by Jeremy Coates in Fedora at 10:35
The other symptom I noticed was that dbus-monitor or anything else that connected to dbus session would fail with a 'connection refused' message.
After trawling round the net, I found a Redhat Bugzilla posting that resolved the issue - between FC4 and FC5 the location of dbus-daemon had moved from /usr/bin to /bin (and also dbus-cleanup-sockets). The yum upgrade for the dbus packages had not removed the FC4 versions from /usr/bin so a quick rm /usr/bin/dbus-daemon and rm /usr/bin/dbus-cleanup-sockets followed by a reboot sorted the problem altogether.
Perhaps that should be added to the Yum upgrade FAQ on Fedora wiki. Another small but annoying problem resolved
Thursday, May 18. 2006
Online banking HTML output to QIF, ... Posted by Jeremy Coates in Linux at 12:02
Firstly I checked with the bank - "At the moment, we can't transfer account information to popular accounting packages or spreadsheets. Although we haven't got a definite date for introducing this facility, it has been scheduled for inclusion in our Online service and we'll let you know as soon as it's available."
I'm not the sort of person to be foiled by that sort of response so embarked upon working out a reliable import routine - especially as the online statement is just an HTML table which can be imported into most spreadsheets with ease.
Grisbi supports the QIF format for importing data as well as a few others, so that was my target format. I came across a macro for Open Office Calc (there's also a similar macro for Excel) that exports to the QIF format. So I tried a simple save of the transaction history of my online statement as an html file. This I then opened into oocalc and the transactions were imported, a few row and column deletes later to clean up the un-needed elements and I was left with a list of transactions ready to export.
After a little playing about with the CALC2QIF macro, I was able to get the columns sorted to the order that Grisbi expected (I actually did this using a new sheet, pulling in the data I wanted from the online source). A quick save to qif format later and import into Gribsi and I soon had 2 years worth of banking history imported, acurately too - there were no missing transactions - Brilliant!
So just thought I'd share that to encourage others to circumvent the brick wall that is the bank and do it the underground (but reliable) way - link a few tools together - enjoy.
Friday, May 5. 2006
Segmentation fault using RPM Posted by Jeremy Coates in CentOS, Linux at 01:40
I tried digging around in yum, rpm and message logs - nothing of any interest, so I remembered that you can do a rpm rebuilddb as detailed on rpm's site however, that also failed with a segfault so it was obviously something a little more serious, but at least now I'd backed up the /var/lib/rpm directory which I'd need later.
This stumped me for a while, so I started looking at a lower level using 'strace -f rpm' to see where things failed - always at the same point just after loading /lib64/tls/libc.so.6 - so I uploaded, did I mention this machine is remote, a replacement copy of the underlying libc-2.3.4.so and rsync'd it into place - no change rpm still segfaulting. After pondering, googling, trawling and no enlightenment later, I headed over to the nice folks at #rpm on irc.freenode.net, who were initially equally puzzled. Then, jbj (I think), mentioned about using rpm2cpio.sh - a shell script to unpack an rpm file when rpm is not installed / working etc. - which I'd obviously not spotted before.
So here's how it was fixed - so I don't forget, and because it may be of some use to someone else : Continue reading "Segmentation fault using RPM"
Syndicate This Blog